26 Jul 2018

Nanna Strawberry visits Holly Lodge Girls College

This was another happy occasion when Nanna Strawberry had opportunity to share her books
with incoming pupils who were taking part in Summer School at Holly Lodge in West Derby.
It was particularly nice to be greeted with the words "Hello Nanna Strawberry" and the smiling
face of Amelia who I had previously met two weeks ago at Huyton with Roby CE School !
So it was really special to be part of Amelia's transition from Primary School to Girls College.
The same applies to all the 'new girls' I met today.

My thanks to Debbie for liaising with me on behalf of her colleagues and for all her help. Also to
Mrs McColl.  The girls took a keen interest in the production of my children's books and were
enthusiastic participants in role play following the reading of  'Nanna Strawberry Remembers The
Young Queen...'.  which is book number six in my target for a series of twelve in all. The rendering
of the National Anthem was excellent.  I was particularly entertained by the sight of the seated
adults reciting "Mary Mary quite contrary..." while seated on their little 'tuffets'.The applause from
all the girls was well deserved !  I was also delighted to sell many books, duly signed by their author.

I attended Holly Lodge almost 70 years ago, to 1953, and was very happy there. Three of my
lifelong friends were pupils there too. It was lovely today to be remembering them, also
Miss Drummond, Mrs Ingham and their teaching staff. Also lovely to see muscovey ducks
 wandering around. Apparently part of the duck pond is still in situ close to the new housing estate
 which now stands in the grounds where the terrace was, also the main school and Uplands.

It would be a nice 'passing on the baton' if Nanna Strawberry's donation could be used to
 re-establish an annual School Birthday festivity. . After all, it is a group effort by purchase of a
 Nanna Strawberry book..Gifts used to be placed on the Birthday Gift Table and special activities
took place.

My love and thanks to everyone concerned for a very memorable day back at Holly Lodge.
I wish you all every happiness and fulfilment there.

Nanna Strawberry

No comments:

Post a Comment